What can FrontlineSMS be used for?
FrontlineSMS aims to bring accessible communication to under-served regions where other tools may not be available. Using available technology – laptops and basic mobile phones – FrontlineSMS helps grassroots non-governmental organizations (NGOs) overcome communication barriers.
FrontlineSMS is a text messaging solution targeted and tailored for the non-profit sector. It allows users to easily send, receive and manage text messages, which can be useful for a variety of activities in many different sectors.
The platform is being used all around the world for activities such as election monitoring, humanitarian response, field data collection, community surveys, health information, market price information, educational programs, campaigning, weather updates. How could the functions below help you in your work?
Exchanging information and data
- Receive messages from the public as part of competitions or surveys
- Exchange information with field staff and community members
- Connect with other tools such as Ushahidi, Twitter and other third-party platforms
- Exporting the SMS data received, for sharing, review and/ or analysis
Monitoring and evaluation
- Collect SMS data, in simple SMS, or sorted by keyword
- Provide project participants with SMS feedback option, and collect and analyze this data
- Use FrontlineForms to collect SMS data from the field (note: version 1 only)
- Training respondents to send structured SMS, with different fields separated by commas or other markers. Alternatively you can use a code protocol to help people structure replies that contain lots of information, such as this code wheel idea from InSTEDD.
To learn more about how our software is used please visit the FrontlineSMS in Action section of our website.
For full information about all features and functions available in FrontlineSMS, see About the Software.